Friday, December 19, 2008

If did. Welcome to Rue Monge

Liz says: I hate to say it but it was beautiful today. Sunny, around upper 40's maybe even 50's. But, I am sick. I can't pretend its not there anymore. I thought it might get better but my sinus infection has moved down to my chest. I have another Zpack and set of Dexone pills, which I started this morning. If this doesn't knock it out, I will be back on US soil and running to the doctor right after Christmas.
Its a real Camille scenario. Yeah, well I could be Greta Garbo. She had TB, according to Dick but its that, you know, delicate cough into a lace hanky thing. Well, except, I'm hacking into hard napkins. Sorry, too much info.
ON THE UP SIDE!
We have the place, it was supposed to be the temporary place. Now he paperwork is rolling, the bills are in our name and the residence is secured.
The Fixer is getting our beautiful black (cinna.fr) sofabed moved in for us and doing everything he possibly can to help us. He can argue with the best of the french and he's a ball of energy. We could not have done this without him.
This apartment is smaller than our upstairs, in the Madison house. The bathroom is tiny and the kitchen is in the living room. Dick noticed "that infernal rumble" which turns out to be the metro underground somewhere near here. I don't notice it much. It sounds like noisy furnace in an old house coming on. Bugs him more than it does me. We are hoping that it won't freak the birds out.
We are a block from another fountain, on the Place Monge. We are about 6 blocks from the Mouffatard market I loved so much. The streets go at an angle, so we are 2 blocks from the middle of that street. The Mouffatard starts as a market and turns into a street of restaurants and then mediocre shops. We are closer to the restaurant area. It opens onto a square, surrounded by restaurants, on of them Irish. But, all that is about 2 blocks away. You can see it up the hill from the fountain area, the Place Monge. I just remembered that we saw a scene being filmed with a horse and carraige in the Place Monge when we first got here. It's pretty easy to get the olde time Paris look, if you limit the shot to exclude the cars and a few signs o' the times ;-}.
My new street is Rue Monge. It is a very long street in Paris and it gets ritzier further on. There are 2 butchers on our street, one fish monger, all sorts of shops, some boutiques, pharmacies, ethnic restaurants and asian traiteurs (to go deli-like places), lots to explore! We have gone to the bistro on the corner a couple of times for quick, easy dinners. It has a great wine list and pretty good food. It is orange and white, the red haired bartender is very freindly. I'm just trying to get my head around, "this is our new neighborhood".
We are officially becoming Parisiens. The paperwork is working and the rent is being paid.
I did what I came here to do. By the skin of my teeth, and with the help of many, we have done the do.
I'll add pictures tommorow.

No comments: